Please note that you must be a current member of the Acton-Boxborough Family Network to participate in these programs. Visit our Membership page for details about joining.
Craft Hour email
We’ve got lots of art fun planned for children ages 2-5. Siblings are always welcome.
Some of the crafts we have done in the past include:
- Decorating flower pots
- Drip-drop painting
- Exploring patterns
- Earth suncatchers
- Shaving-cream snow painting
- Rolling-pin rainbow painting
- Bird feeders
- Hansel and Gretel houses
- Making puppets
- Print-your-own wrapping paper
Community Service email
Throughout the year, ABFN organizes a variety of service events. We have exchanged valentines, gone trick-or-treating, and sang holiday carols at local senior centers. We have toured and collected donations for the Acton Food Pantry and Buddy Dog Humane Society. We have picked up trash at Nara Park on Earth Day. And more!
ABFN plans two to three outings each month from September through June for parents and their children. Activities are scheduled across a range of days and times, to accommodate a mix of schedules and ages. Come with the whole family, or make it a special date with just one child!
Past outings include nature walks, ice skating, PJ story time, playground exploration, pottery painting, Kimball’s Ice Cream, Davis Farmland, and a firehouse tour… Our most popular outings return year after year, such as our exclusive evening at the Science Discovery museum, and apple and pumpkin picking with hayrides.
Story Hour email
Each month, we get together to read seasonal stories and to do a craft. Fun for all ages. We hope you will join us!
Outdoor Adventures email
Let’s get out and explore! We’ve seen a frog, a snake, and a deer. We’ve smelled herbs and floated sticks in a stream. Appropriate for young children.
ABFN playgroups provide a great opportunity to meet other ABFN members and create new bonds for you and your child!
How do playgroups work?
- ABFN maintains a running list of members interested in playgroups.
- Playgroups are formed by members’ availability and the child’s age. While we try to keep the children in each group close in age, there’s usually some age range within each group.
- Playgroup members are contacted through emails.
- Most playgroups meet during the school week but playgroups can meet any day of the week (weekend days too) when members are interested and available.
- Playgroups typically meet within members’ homes or at local playgrounds. There is a list of local playgrounds and gathering spaces on the Acton-Boxborough Family Network website. The online message boards are a great resource in finding local meeting spots and special events.
- Playgroups are open to all caregivers of Acton-Boxborough Family Network children (Parents, Nannies, Grandparents, etc.).
- Many long-lasting friendships have formed through ABFN playgroups!
Check the BigTent calendar and ABFN emails for news on our upcoming Open House playdates! ABFN regularly holds playgroup open houses within homes or playgroup meet-ups at local playgrounds, schools, or businesses catering to young children.
Indoor Playdates email
When the weather outside is frightful, a standing playdate is so delightful… ABFN has teamed up with JamTime and One Stop Fun to offer discounted playtime to ABFN members during specific hours. Meet up with friends and let the kids burn off some energy in a comfortable indoor play space.